How to Protect Yourself on the Streets with a Few Simple Words
We’ve put a little something together to give you confidence in the street even if you’re not confident in you Turkish.
Vocabulary for your records:
– Yok / Hayır, both of which mean “No.”
– İmdat / Yardım Edin! which mean, “Help!”
– Çek elini! / Dokunma bana! which means “Get your hands off me.”
– Şikayetçi olmak istiyorum –“I want to file a complaint”
– Polisi gidicem / Polisi arıyorum – “I am calling the police”
– Beni elledi – “He touched me / groped me”
– Rahat bırak beni – “Leave me alone!”
– Git başımdan! which means “Get away from me!”
– Çekil! also means “Get away from me!”
– Yapma! which means literally “Don’t do that!”
– Polis! Fortunately, this word is the same in English and Turkish.
-Ayıp is shame in Turkish and a very strong word.
This video was completed generously by our volunteers and a local filmmaker supporting our cause. Comments or questions? Email us: [email protected]